I like to read. A lot. Sometimes I read a book — usually fiction — enjoy it, put it away, and move on to the next book. Sometimes I learned so much from a book, keep thinking about questions raised by it, or want to connect with others about my own experiences with this topic. So I’ve been writing a lot about books.
Honestly, I’m not sure if what I’m writing are personal essays that are inspired by a book or if I’m actually writing book reviews. They’re a little bit of each, I suppose.
1. Parenting Without Borders: Surprising Lessons Parents Around the World Can Teach Us by Christine Gross-Loh
- Your Hovering Doesn’t Help: A Quiz and a Simple Step
- I Can’t Stop Praising My Kid!
- How We Teach Our Kids To Be Picky Eaters, and What To Do About It
- Sleepless in Boston and Buffalo: Colic, Cosleeping and Coping
- Why Buying More Stuff Isn’t Going To Help You Be a Perfect Parent
2. One and Only: The Freedom of Having an Only Child, and the Joy of Being One by Lauren Sandler
- Sacrifice or Selfishness: Should a Kid Have a Sibling? (also republished on Scary Mommy and ivillage Australia)
3.Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom Is Wrong-and What You Really Need to Know by Emily Oster
- I Used To Love Pregnancy Books, Now I’ll Just Lean In
- Could a New Book About Pregnancy Help End the Mommy Wars?
4.How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough
5.Friendfluence: The Surprising Ways Friends Make Us Who We Are by Carlin Flora
6.Home Is Where the School Is: The Logic of Homeschooling and the Emotional Labor of Mothering by Jennifer Lois
7.Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
- What Can We Learn About Introverts To Help Us Raise Kids?
- How I Made Peace With Being a Strong Mom and an Introvert (on Role/Reboot and Mamamia)
8. Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
- When Leaning In Isn’t Enough: My Story
- A Few Questions for Sheryl Sandberg From a Mom Who “Leaned In” and Tripped
9. Early Decision: Based on a True Frenzy by Lacy Crawford
10. Playing to Win by Hilary Levey Friedman
11. Maxed Out: American Moms on the Brink by Katrina Alcorn
12. Ready For Air: A Journey Through Premature Motherhood by Kate Hopper
13. Mother Daughter Me by Katie Hafner
14. A Lady in France by Jennie Goutet
15. The Good Mother Myth, edited by Avital Nathman
16. The Beauty Experiment by Phoebe Baker Hyde